Certificate in Data Science
The management of large quantities of data presents a global challenge to many industries. The tools and techniques which data science provides us with are helping to make sense of it. Actuaries, by the nature of their work, are familiar with using data, but ensuring that they are familiar with some of these emerging techniques is increasingly important.
In addition, actuaries increasingly work alongside data scientists and will benefit from a better understanding of how they work.
The Certificate in Data Science is part of the Creative Ground Tech’s lifelong learning agenda and is a significant step for us as we seek to provide opportunities for our Members to continually develop their skillset in a fast-moving, ever-changing business environment.
This is a 10-week online programme. There will be eight weeks of learning with structured support for learners, followed by two weeks to complete the final programme assignment. The estimated weekly study time commitment for the certificate is 8-10 hours. This certificate has been designed to be taken anywhere in the world.
The course is open to all our members – Fellows, Associates, Students, and Affiliates; whatever your background or experience in this area. No prior knowledge of coding is required.
The purpose of this certificate is to provide an introduction to the concepts, tools, and techniques used in data science, and their relevance within an actuarial context. The certificate will also introduce you to some of the technical tools used in data science. However, it is not intended to be a course on technical data science programming.
A key part of data science is understanding how it can be applied. The certificate will therefore blend both theory and practice to ensure that these techniques are understood in an actuarial context, with the use of case studies.
The programme is broken down into 6 manageable modules:
- Introduction to data science, data management & processing
- Data analysis + introduction to Machine Learning (ML)
- Data Visualisation and Communication
- Further Analysis and Artificial Intelligence
- Good practice of Data Science, and responsible AI
- Future directions
At the end of this programme you will be able to:
- Understand core concepts in data science and how they relate to AI and ML.
- Retrieve, process, and manage relevant data in a range of formats.
- Analyse relevant datasets with state-of-the-art tools and techniques.
- Identify opportunities to apply business solutions with the latest ML and AI technologies in an actuarial context.
- Provide insights about the legal, ethical, and technical implications of using big data and AI in an actuarial context.
Booking is now open for our next Certificate in Data Science Course commencing on 14 February, running until 28 April 2023. Booking will remain open until 13 February 2023.
Log in and then select the Lifelong Learning icon, then select the Certificate in Data Science icon.
New dates for April 2023 Cohort will be announced in March and you will then be able to register your interest in these future dates.
By completing the Expressions of Interest form you will be given priority booking and notified about the course you are interested in before a general notice is made that bookings are open to the wider membership.
Course cost and information
The cost is USD 300.00, which includes:
- access to all materials
- feedback following your first assignment
- access to two group tutorials
- assessment review